Consulter les messages sans réponse | Consulter les sujets actifs Nous sommes actuellement le Mar Juil 17, 2018 5:52 pm

Répondre au sujet  [ 4 message(s) ] 
 [190cm x 75kg] Help choosing first composite wave SUP! 
Auteur Message

Message(s) : 2
Hello everyone!

I'm a beginner wave-SUPer from Italy, last summer I bought a CHIP 10' pack which has been my go-to during this year.

I mostly did cruising with the CHIP but recently I started doing some wave riding with SUPs available where I rented (mostly with a Fanatic allwave 9.4 2018)...I still tend to surf only 20-30% of the waves before falling off but I'm considering to buy my first composite board to be able to move around Italy and find good spots to practice.

What would you advise from the Gong 2018 line? I can't choose!

I had a look at the 9'10 CLOUD 165 WOODCKFUSION and to the 9'1...

Also, from what I heard, it is not simple just to choose from liters: it mostly depends on how they are "distributed" on the board.

Please give me your honest opinion.

Thanks,
Cixx

Ven Juil 13, 2018 6:26 pm

Message(s) : 10156
Welcome Sixx,

On the volume, you need enough volume so that the board will stay stable even if you place your feet outside of the "sweet spot". Volume gives you a margin of error. A good rule of thumb for beginners is to have at least your weight + 50 liters in volume, that is 125 liters. If there is chop, you will need even more of this margin of error.

But the stability is mainly given by the width, and especially the widths at the nose and tail, especially for you who are tall.

This said, Cloud or NFA are the best boards for you. Both are similary stable (NFA wider in the nose, Cloud wider in the tail and middle). NFA 9' or Cloud 9'1" could be OK in glassy condition of if you had already surfing experience, but since you say you only make 30% of the waves on a 9'4" x 175 liters boards, I would advise the Cloud 9'10" or NFA 10". Getting a board a bit too big is much better than the opposite, it will make you progress faster.

SUPfoil aile L + Curve 8'9" + AS 6'10"
Surf 9'1" XTR proto Cococool

Sam Juil 14, 2018 7:37 am
Profil Site internet

Message(s) : 2
coolas a écrit :
Welcome Sixx,

On the volume, you need enough volume so that the board will stay stable even if you place your feet outside of the "sweet spot". Volume gives you a margin of error. A good rule of thumb for beginners is to have at least your weight + 50 liters in volume, that is 125 liters. If there is chop, you will need even more of this margin of error.

But the stability is mainly given by the width, and especially the widths at the nose and tail, especially for you who are tall.

This said, Cloud or NFA are the best boards for you. Both are similary stable (NFA wider in the nose, Cloud wider in the tail and middle). NFA 9' or Cloud 9'1" could be OK in glassy condition of if you had already surfing experience, but since you say you only make 30% of the waves on a 9'4" x 175 liters boards, I would advise the Cloud 9'10" or NFA 10". Getting a board a bit too big is much better than the opposite, it will make you progress faster.

Hi Coolas,
thanks for the welcome and the advice!

During this weekend we had almost "flat" water conditions, so I tried some board...allwave 9.0 and 8.9 ( 159 and 145 lt ) and then a Stylemaster 10" ( 135 lt )

I noticed a lot of difference and I preferred the last one which is a Longboard (I even managed to catch some veeery little waves on it, while with the others I couldn't) but I don't know if it counts, since the water was almost flat.

From my understanding, a longboard is easier on small-medium waves, which are the most common in this part of Italy.

Which is the most versatile board, the Cloud or the NFA? From the description on the website I can't understand it!

Thanks,
Cixx

Dim Juil 15, 2018 9:11 pm

Message(s) : 10156
thecixx a écrit :
I noticed a lot of difference and I preferred the last one which is a Longboard [...]
Which is the most versatile board, the Cloud or the NFA? From the description on the website I can't understand it!

Both are, they just have a different feeling. The NFA nose allows to use it to get lift from the water, so it helps in taking off on waves by leaning on it, and you can do noserides later. But the more pointed nose of the Cloud pierces better through chop.

I'd advise the NFA 10'. The glide of a longboard shape is really fun, and especially useful in the (relatively) weak waves of the Mediterranean sea. But they can handle size on the big days.

SUPfoil aile L + Curve 8'9" + AS 6'10"
Surf 9'1" XTR proto Cococool

Lun Juil 16, 2018 8:29 am
Profil Site internet
Répondre au sujet   [ 4 message(s) ]