Basic backside?

Erik

Basic backside?

Message par Erik » mer. mars 18, 2015 2:48 pm

I've read the previous threads on going backside but they didn't answer my questions, exactly. Anyway, I hardly ever do it, because i'm so bad at it. I can take off fine. I can make the first turn, usually a bottom turn, fine. But then I don't know what to do. Most often, the bottom turn continues and I go up and out of the wave. So, what I'd like to know is the most basic way of riding down the line backside.

1/ while learning, is there are best side to hold the paddle on? or are you switching, depending on what you're doing? i've been holding it with the blade facing down the wave (instead of over the back), but maybe it should be the other way, to match how I go front side, with the blade always resting on the back of the wave.

2/ What's the most basic next move after making that first turn?

3/ What do I need to know that I don't even know to ask at this point?

Thanks once again (and if i'm posting toooo many questions, let me know and I'll stop)

coolas

Re: Basic backside?

Message par coolas » mer. mars 18, 2015 5:33 pm

What helps most when surfing backside:

- crouch a lot: flex your knees to get back some mobility
- look forward: turn your shoulders towards the front of the board
- move your front foot on the center line of the board, and the rear to the inside rail. That is the main problem of most riders: keeping the frontside stance of, for a regular. the front foot on the left rail and rear foot on the right rail. The front foot should be like in frontside, in the center.

Here is what you must not do (front foot on the inside rail). Mika does it here to hold the rail in this extreme part of the wave, but on a normal wave, you will turn and fall into the wave:

Florian show the proper front foot position for normal waves:

2019: 7'3" Fatal 105L, Alley 7'8" 105L & 8'1" 120L, Zero 9'0" 115L
2022: Mob 7'6" cool 120L, Alleys custom 7'10" 112L & 8'1" 114L
2023: Karmen custom 7'11" 118L
Surf: 9'1" XTR proto glider

Erik

Message par Erik » mer. mars 18, 2015 6:28 pm

Thanks, Coolas, good stuff. But, like I suggest, the take off isn't really what I've got a problem that. That first turn out of a bent-knee position I can do. It's what you do as you come out of that first turn, in terms of a basic next move, that has me somewhat perplexed. As does paddle placement. Thanks again!

coolas

Message par coolas » mer. mars 18, 2015 9:51 pm

just do what you would do frontside.

Picture what you would do frontside, and "unlock" your body to be able to engage the curves.

I must say that practice helps a lot for backside surfing. At the end of the trips to Hossegor where I was surfing mainly lefts. I was more confortable backside than frontside.

Ours
Site Admin

Message par Ours » jeu. mars 19, 2015 10:56 am

Hello,

surfing backside is the same than frontside. That's said :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But on a SUP, you can see a huge mistake on so many pictures, even on pro's: they move the front foot instead of the back foot.
To turn backside, some guys use their front foot, locating the front heel close to the rail.

They are two huge mistakes guys do on a SUP while surfing:
- surfing below the trim line or too much on the shoulder: on a flat part of the wave.
- moving the front foot from one side to the other.
These two mistakes kill the SUP surfing.

Your front foot must be dedicated to support your weight. Your back foot is dedicated to the drive.
Your front foot has a sweet spot. Your back foot can move a little.

If your front foot is not well located, you will do mistakes to compensate this basic mistake. After years, your surfing will be totally ugly and locked.

Of course if you move your front heel close to the rail, it helps the backside bottom turn. But how do you do to make the next turn on your toes???
- you move your back foot on the opposite rail to compensate.
- you move your front foot to the toes side, lifting your body weight and putting it on the back foot, so you stall the board, so to not stall too much you locate your feet 30cm forward… and so on…

Your front foot must be centered: ALWAYS. Your back foot does the job, moving a little.
And you just look where you want to go and open your shoulders.

What can you do after the bottom turn? Everything. The first one is to go up the trim line and find the speed. Without speed you can't do moves. So lets focus on the speed first.

Thanks,
GONG owner and shaper

Erik

Message par Erik » jeu. mars 19, 2015 1:51 pm

bear: that's some pretty brilliant insight into at least one thing i've been doing wrong when going backside. i often have the heels of *both* feet inside the stringer line and close to the inside rail. i bet that explains exactly why my next turn doesn't happen and, instead, i stall out over the top of the wave. this change i will make immediately. and then i will see how i do finding trim and going down the line. thanks again for the huge help!

Ours
Site Admin

Message par Ours » jeu. mars 19, 2015 6:24 pm

Hello,

if you have the front foot on one side of the board, the turn on that side will be easy BUT impossible to stop.
So the first turn is nice, but the second one is a huge sh$#@&... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Remember :
- the front foot exists to support your weight and balance.
- the back foot gives the drive, left, right.
- the balance between them determinate the speed.

The only exception is the last step when you cross step to the nose. On a hang five and ten, your back foot support your weight and the driving.

Thanks,
GONG owner and shaper

Erik

Message par Erik » jeu. mars 19, 2015 8:03 pm

Got it, Bear. Thanks again.

Oh, and btw / What side should I be holding the paddle on, generally speaking? I see it done both ways but I'm not sure if one of them isn't better in the beginning of learning.

Ours
Site Admin

Message par Ours » jeu. mars 19, 2015 8:29 pm

Hello,

on small waves, or hollow waves, you can let the blade on the toes side in order to make short cut backs, and lift the board on the lip.

On big or fast waves, you need to put the blade between you and the wave to keep control during bottom turns ; and switch it for top turns.

Thanks,
GONG owner and shaper

coolas

Message par coolas » ven. mars 27, 2015 10:39 am

A perfect video to analyse the body movements during backside turns...

phpBB [video]

Erik

Message par Erik » ven. mars 27, 2015 8:19 pm

awesome video, coolas, thanks for sharing it. the rider has great paddle skills. don't know if i'll ever be able to switch hands as quickly as he does.

meanwhile, i had one of my most successful rights (backside) today. i think it worked out well mainly because i bent my knees more than usual, so my turns were better. also, the wave was a good un and, really, all i had to do was carve down the line.

otaketsup

Message par otaketsup » dim. juil. 05, 2015 8:49 am

je déterre un peu mais magnifique vidéo en effet, gros gros niveau :shock:

lemad640

Message par lemad640 » mer. avr. 27, 2016 8:13 pm

Ours a écrit :Hello,

surfing backside is the same than frontside. That's said :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But on a SUP, you can see a huge mistake on so many pictures, even on pro's: they move the front foot instead of the back foot.
To turn backside, some guys use their front foot, locating the front heel close to the rail.

They are two huge mistakes guys do on a SUP while surfing:
- surfing below the trim line or too much on the shoulder: on a flat part of the wave.
- moving the front foot from one side to the other.
These two mistakes kill the SUP surfing.

Your front foot must be dedicated to support your weight. Your back foot is dedicated to the drive.
Your front foot has a sweet spot. Your back foot can move a little.

If your front foot is not well located, you will do mistakes to compensate this basic mistake. After years, your surfing will be totally ugly and locked.

Of course if you move your front heel close to the rail, it helps the backside bottom turn. But how do you do to make the next turn on your toes???
- you move your back foot on the opposite rail to compensate.
- you move your front foot to the toes side, lifting your body weight and putting it on the back foot, so you stall the board, so to not stall too much you locate your feet 30cm forward… and so on…

Your front foot must be centered: ALWAYS. Your back foot does the job, moving a little.
And you just look where you want to go and open your shoulders.

What can you do after the bottom turn? Everything. The first one is to go up the trim line and find the speed. Without speed you can't do moves. So lets focus on the speed first.

Thanks,
Voilà ce que je cherchais parce que je galère un peu pour partir backside, je suis toujours en faute de carre/rail.

Google translate :

surf backside est le même que frontside. Cela dit:

Mais sur un SUP, vous pouvez voir une énorme erreur sur tant de photos, même sur les pros: ils se déplacent le pied avant au lieu de l'arrière du pied.
Pour activer arrière, certains gars utilisent leur pied avant, placer le talon avant à proximité du rail.

Ils sont deux énormes erreurs gars font sur un SUP en surf:
- Le surf en dessous de la ligne de coupe ou de trop sur l'épaule: sur une partie plane de la vague.
- Déplacer le pied avant d'un côté à l'autre.
Ces deux erreurs tuent le surf SUP.

Votre pied avant doit être dédié pour supporter votre poids. Votre pied arrière est dédié à l'entraînement.
Votre pied avant a un sweet spot. Votre pied arrière peut se déplacer un peu.

Si votre pied avant est pas bien situé, vous allez faire des erreurs pour compenser cette erreur de base. Après des années, votre navigation sera totalement laid et verrouillé.

Bien sûr, si vous déplacez votre talon avant à proximité du rail, il aide le bottom turn backside. Mais comment faites-vous pour faire le tour suivant sur vos orteils ???
- Vous déplacez votre pied arrière sur le rail opposé pour compenser.
- Vous vous déplacez votre pied avant sur le côté orteils, soulevant le poids du corps et de le mettre sur le pied arrière, de sorte que vous calez la planche, afin de ne pas bloquer trop vous localisez vos pieds 30cm en avant ... et ainsi de suite ...

Votre pied avant doit être centrée: TOUJOURS. Votre pied arrière fait le travail, se déplaçant un peu.
Et vous venez de regarder où vous voulez aller et ouvrir vos épaules.

Que pouvez-vous faire après le virage en bas? Tout. La première est d'aller jusqu'à la ligne de garniture et de trouver la vitesse. Sans vitesse, vous ne pouvez pas faire se déplace. Permet donc se concentrer sur la première vitesse.
Choco 38 ans-1.72m-88kgs. La seule chose absolue dans un monde comme le nôtre, c'est l'humour. A.E.
Pagaie carbon pro 7'' & 8"
2016 :arrow: 9'1 Cloud Pro XTR Portugal, Mob 8'3 SP Pro , 9'2 FREAK 125 PRO, Karmen 8'4'' FSP
2022 : NFA 9' XL FSP2X

Répondre

Revenir à « SUP : Vos questions / Demandes et échange de conseils techniques »