new Longboard SUP

sas

new Longboard SUP

Message par sas » mar. juil. 03, 2018 12:35 pm

Hello,
I would like your advice on a new longboard SUP.
So far I drive the IT Bamby as longboard SUP and as the 'alternative'. But I would like to change my quiver. The longboard should complement a Mob 7'2 Pro SP. I surf on a small island in the North Sea at 0.5-2.5m, often mushy / soft / slow waves, usually 5-8s period.

I would like to have a longboard that gets into the waves as early as possible. I love my IT but a new longboard should have some more allround features. I want to walk on it but also drive a little harder turns. With my weight of 62Kg (1.72cm) I needed for more hardness always the help of the paddle. sometimes the short wave period causes so much water and pressure that you do not get into the line up with a short SUP. IT has done a great job with its enormous paddle speed and flat nose without much rocker. The new longboard should also master this job. However, the flat rocker is very challenging in higher, steeper waves with a lot of pressure. Also with short wave periods and uneasy water, turning fast for paddling a wave with the IT is also a bit more difficult.

I thought of Freak Vs. Zero because the NFA 9 does not exist anymore as an (XTR) Pro version. I'm a little surprised that in the descriptions of the actual longboards only glassy conditions are described as a field of application.

I would be happy about your opinions

greeting
Sascha

coolas

Re: new Longboard SUP

Message par coolas » mar. juil. 03, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi Sascha,

As you found out the IT is a "retro" shape, a lot of glide but a flatter rocker tricky for carving and in steeper waves.

At 62kg I think you will be better on low volume boards. And as they are more narrow, they will be much better for you on steeper waves, plus they will paddle noticebly faster. Of course, they will be a bit harder to balance in chop, but the longboard outline is stable by itself anyways.

The longSUPs with modern rockers are the Zero, NFA, Freak, Moblog.
The Zero shines on fast waves, NFA and Freak are all-around, and Moblog has a lot of power in weak waves.

I know that for a guy like me (100kg) I would advise the Moblog. However, I think that for you the Zero 115l could be ideal: not too narrow, a wide section in front of the feet that is key to stability and give an early wave entry, but a narrow tail (and a somewhat pointy nose) so that you can attack on steep waves even with your 62kg. Plus the Moblog does not seem to be available :-)
2019: 7'3" Fatal 105L, Alley 7'8" 105L & 8'1" 120L, Zero 9'0" 115L
2022: Mob 7'6" cool 120L, Alleys custom 7'10" 112L & 8'1" 114L
2023: Karmen custom 7'11" 118L
Surf: 9'1" XTR proto glider

coolas

Message par coolas » mar. juil. 03, 2018 2:43 pm

sas a écrit :I'm a little surprised that in the descriptions of the actual longboards only glassy conditions are described as a field of application.
In my personal experience, longboards are stabler to paddle in chop, but have a lot of built-in lift in the nose to be able to noseride. That means hitting chop in the ride will shake you a lot more, a rodeo ride.

For chop I prefer a lot a Curve (replaced by the Karmen), the pointy high nose will pierce through the chop and give a smoother ride than my Moblog which will try to eject me on each chop. This means I can commit to carving turns in chop with a Curve, but with a longSUP I must be more cautious and always keep a safety margin.

giacomo

Message par giacomo » mar. juil. 03, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi Sas,
as Coolas, I would like to suggest you the Zero. The Freak would be perfect equally but you already have the IT so with a Zero your "wave range" will be more wide. The Zero is really perfect in any condition, from little to big, fast or slow wave, really perfect! The Freak in big and fast condition could suffer a bit.
This is my personal experience (I have a Zero and had 2 type of Freak).
Freak is a super board but if you already have an IT you can choose something "more".

ciao!
Zero 8'5 FSP - Mob 7'2 FSP2X - Freak 9'2 xtr - Rage Panther Ocean 12'6 xtr - Eternity Caribou 8'8
2x carbon pro 7 - carbon pro 8

JGONG

Message par JGONG » mer. juil. 04, 2018 9:52 am

Hello Sascha,

Colas and Giacomo have given you some nice food for thought.

I will really come down to a choice based on your skills concerning balance. Uo there where you surf it can get quite technical as far as time between sets, wind and chop and wave quality. I have a lot of clients up there looking for the 'right' Board.

The Freak and Zero are modern Longboards, they are Boards that can be pushed harder into extreme situations and steeper waves. You don't want to put yourself into a situation where you do not have enough volume and you lose your stability and comfort zone.

If you feel that your balance skills are at the top of your game then the Zero is the way to go, if you feel you still are lacking in that area then the Freak.

Both Boards are Pro so they are high performance Boards and if you know how to squeeze the juice out of them they will perform.

Don't forget we here at GONG are shaping Boards to perform in European wave conditions, which are very different than Pacific conditions.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks
Jeff Spicoli : All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore : Charlie don't Surf............

Shane Dorian : I Surf to get a Tan.....

World Master of Customer Service in the GONG GALAXY..

giacomo

Message par giacomo » mer. juil. 04, 2018 11:39 am

Agree with Jaime at 99%, the 1% is with regard to the balance:
JGONG a écrit : If you feel that your balance skills are at the top of your game then the Zero is the way to go, if you feel you still are lacking in that area then the Freak.
for my experience I don't find balance difference between these boards....
Zero 8'5 FSP - Mob 7'2 FSP2X - Freak 9'2 xtr - Rage Panther Ocean 12'6 xtr - Eternity Caribou 8'8

sas

Message par sas » mer. juil. 04, 2018 2:46 pm

Thanks to your response,
I thought that both boards are more stable compared to IT. The IT is sometimes challenging mostly in choppy conditions while waiting and a bit sluggish in quickly change direction an paddle in to a wave.

I love the tail of the zero and the nose of the freak.

A ten blues SUP would be my favorite :oops:

the agony of choice!

coolas

Message par coolas » mer. juil. 04, 2018 6:57 pm

sas a écrit :a bit sluggish in quickly change direction an paddle in to a wave.
For this, a thruster setup (3 fins of the same size) will definitely help. Or you can try to use single fins with a narrow chord like the "finger" fins. In FCS II, the Pivot is such a fin
https://gongsupshop.com/epages/box1707. ... -PG02-LB-R

Or any narrow fin without lots of rake, like:
https://www.trueames.com/collections/si ... single-fin

These fins will not work at low speed, allowing you to quickly do u-turns while paddling around, but will work when on the wave.

sas

Message par sas » jeu. juil. 05, 2018 9:02 am

Thx Coolas,

thruster will not work because there is only one US Box.

I've tried a 9 Dolphin instead of 10 and it's much better for me. Maybe a Pivot is the next thing to try.

When the water is clean there is no problem to go to the back of the board and pivot but if it is choppy the 25 width is clearly noticable :P

(IT Surf Bamby 2015)

coolas

Message par coolas » jeu. juil. 05, 2018 9:18 am

For the thruster setup, yes, it was for your new longSUP, if you get one.

As an example, the finger fin I have is a Futures:
https://www.towerpaddleboards.com/SUP-S ... r-surf.htm
Used as a single in 9" on a Gong Electric 9'11" it allowed me to do U-turns easily before incoming waves

sas

Message par sas » jeu. juil. 05, 2018 9:24 am

I think the new longboard SUPs will not have that problem. Its only a problem while balancing my torture stick to the chop while U-turning in bigger waves.

sas

Message par sas » lun. août 06, 2018 7:38 pm

Thank you for your answers and recommendations. I think I'm going with the freak. I would love the Zero but I am currently selling my IT (space problems) and would like to replace it with as much versatility as possible. Also think the freak is already running better in micro conditions and on flat. Correct me if I'm wrong. I love the curves and the classic shape of the Freak

Thanks
Sascha

giacomo

Message par giacomo » lun. août 06, 2018 7:57 pm

I'm selling my IT for a Freak too but I'm always had a Zero and..... Is really versatile and much much easier for me: easy in chop easy in very big wave. The zero assure me in all condition. I couldn't say the same for the freak that I had in past (semipro e sp 70cm wider). Very beautiful board but less versatile.... Is a very classic longsup. The zero is what you want: short long....everything

sas

Message par sas » mer. août 08, 2018 5:06 pm

I love to hear that. Because the Zero is my preferred one. I only thought the freak would be the more safe/versatile way.

So I will go for the zero.

Thanks
Sascha

MagW

Message par MagW » mer. août 08, 2018 10:31 pm

At your weight I agree that the Zero is a better choice. The Freak is quite a big board for <65kg, since the tail is wide and the overall width. You can control the Zero better in high speeds and bigger waves but you can still use it in 0,5m since you are so light. And you will have no problem with the balance in chop even on the Zero.
/Magnus
22: NFA9'xs
21: NeverStick 9'8
20: Zero 8'5
19: 7'8 Karmen Pro
13: Sherpa BR 12'6
Carbon Racing S and Pro 7"
23: Mint 5’, HM85, CurveH-XL, H-L, FluidH45
23: Droid UP 4,5 & 5,5

Répondre

Revenir à « Choisir sa planche / Choose your board »