A Chip choice!

Stew

A Chip choice!

Message par Stew » mer. juin 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Good afternoon,

I would like to ask for some views on the Chip boards.

I am looking to purchase a board that my children can use on their own but also that they won't outgrow too soon. I also don't want it to be too big for them.

For background, I have:
- an iSUP that is 10' 6" long, 5" thick, 220L volume.
- a hardboard that is 10' long 140L volume.
My eldest child has a Pelican Vibe 80 which is 8' long, 145L but weighs 15kg! It is a cheap lump of plastic that fills the need for something they can bash around but it is heavy to paddle for little people. I need a second board so the whole family can paddle together (dog included!) My youngest child does paddle it on occasion too.

From the Chip range, the immediate obvious choice is the 8' board. A good size that is not too long. Volume at 135L is fine for kids and borderline for me at 73 kg. (My 10' hardboard is close in volume and I have little issue surfing it) My concern with this board is if someone heavier uses it, how well the board will hold it's shape at only 4" thickness. Is it practical for an adult to use it? I would be tempted to use a smaller board myself for quick inflation and just messing about on silly days at the beach.

The second choice is the 9' board. Cost is only a little bit extra but it will definitely be ok for adult use with a big jump in volume to 250L. I'm guessing that the big increase is due to the thickness being 6". My concern here is that it will be too big for the kids. Too high off the water, catching the wind. Too hard to turn round. Hard to surf - I want them to be able to start to learn to surf. (I've played at trying to surf a friends Fanatic Fly Air that is 10.4 long, 6" thick, 294L and it was like trying to move a barge around!!).

With the boards I own, I think I have a fair idea of volume of the 8' and 9' Chip. It would be good to see a video of the boards, particularly to show how stiff they are.
I realise that the 8' board is probably the right choice but I am paranoid about the flex of a 4" thick board - everyone always says to avoid that thickness. I trust Gong as a quality brand but it would be good to have some assurance as to how well it works.I think I would be ok if the 8' Chip does flex a lot but it would just be good to know before purchasing.

This is the only video of a Chip I could find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaPi3E6FUAA

Sorry for the long ramble but I like to do my research before making a purchase. I am very close to pushing the purchase button but just need that bit of extra help. :)

----

Bonne après-midi,

Je voudrais demander quelques points de vue sur les cartes à puce.

Je cherche à acheter un tableau que mes enfants pourront utiliser eux-mêmes, mais qu’ils ne pourront pas grandir trop tôt. Je ne veux pas non plus que ce soit trop gros pour eux.

Pour le fond, j'ai:
- un iSUP de 10 '6 "de long, 5" d'épaisseur, 220L de volume.
- un panneau dur de 10 'de long avec un volume de 140L.
Mon aîné a une Pelican Vibe 80 qui mesure 8 pieds de long, 145 litres mais pèse 15 kg! Il s’agit d’un morceau de plastique bon marché qui répond au besoin de quelque chose qu’ils peuvent cogner, mais il est difficile à manœuvrer pour les petites personnes. J'ai besoin d'une deuxième planche pour que toute la famille puisse pagayer ensemble (chien compris!). Mon plus jeune enfant le fait aussi à l'occasion.

Dans la gamme des puces, le choix évident immédiat est la planche 8 '. Une bonne taille qui n'est pas trop longue. Le volume à 135L est bon pour les enfants et limite pour moi à 73 kg. (Mon panneau dur de 10 'est proche en volume et je n’ai pas de problème à le surfer) Mon problème avec ce tableau est que si une personne plus lourde l’utilise, la capacité du panneau à tenir sa forme à seulement 4 "d’épaisseur. Est-il pratique pour un adulte? Je serais tenté d’utiliser moi-même un tableau plus petit pour une inflation rapide et une simple plaisanterie par des journées idiotes à la plage.

Le deuxième choix est le conseil 9 '. Le coût n’est qu’un tout petit peu plus élevé, mais il conviendra sans aucun doute à un usage adulte, avec un saut important en volume jusqu’à 250L. Je suppose que la forte augmentation est due à l'épaisseur de 6 ". Mon souci est que ce sera trop grand pour les enfants. Trop haut en eau, attraper le vent. Trop difficile de faire demi-tour. Difficile de surfer - Je veux qu’ils puissent commencer à apprendre à surfer (j’ai essayé de surfer sur un ami Fanatic Fly Air mesurant 10,4 cm de long, 6 "d’épaisseur, 294L et c’était comme essayer de déplacer une péniche !! ).

Avec les planches que je possède, je pense avoir une bonne idée du volume de la puce 8 'et 9'. Il serait bon de voir une vidéo des planches, en particulier pour montrer à quel point elles sont raides.
Je me rends compte que la planche de 8 'est probablement le bon choix mais je suis paranoïaque à propos de la flexibilité d'une planche de 4 "d'épaisseur - tout le monde dit toujours d'éviter cette épaisseur. Je fais confiance à Gong en tant que marque de qualité, mais il serait bon d'avoir une assurance. Je pense que je serais ok si la puce 8 'fléchissait beaucoup, mais il serait bon de savoir avant d'acheter.

C'est la seule vidéo d'une puce que j'ai pu trouver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaPi3E6FUAA

Désolé pour la longue randonnée, mais j'aime bien faire mes recherches avant de faire un achat. Je suis très près d’appuyer sur le bouton d’achat, mais j’ai simplement besoin de cette aide supplémentaire. :)

coolas

Re: A Chip choice!

Message par coolas » jeu. juin 06, 2019 7:30 am

Welcome Stew, from Seabreeze I guess? ;-)

4" should not be an issue for your (or your kids) weight. The Couine Marie are 4", and I have a 10' which is quite OK for my 100kg.

But if you want to use it for teaching heavier adults, the issue will be the row effect: it will be OK to teach balance and paddling around on the flat (no chop!) for an adult, but forget learning to SUP surf if you weight more than 60kg.

For you, you will need to enhance your paddling technique to master a 8' coming from a 10'6", but at your weight it should be OK. You will have a hard time catching waves at first, you will need to work on better readiing the waves to place yourself for the take off and work on your paddling power. Not a problem if you want a challenge to progress, but you must be warned :-)
2019: 7'3" Fatal 105L, Alley 7'8" 105L & 8'1" 120L, Zero 9'0" 115L
2022: Mob 7'6" cool 120L, Alleys custom 7'10" 112L & 8'1" 114L
2023: Karmen custom 7'11" 118L
Surf: 9'1" XTR proto glider

Stew

Message par Stew » jeu. juin 06, 2019 11:29 am

That's interesting that other models are 4" thick. I had not thought to look there. I guess the Chip 9' is 6" to increase the volume for beginners?

I think the 8' sounds like an ok choice!

coolas

Message par coolas » jeu. juin 06, 2019 12:02 pm

If I remember correctly, the Chips were made 6" so that they could be stiff enough even if you did not inflate them fully, as it was a line made for novices who may not have the motivation to inflate them fully. But the 8' being shorter was still OK at 4".

Yes, I guess the 8' should be OK for you. I would have advised a bigger one if you were heavier or did not to want have to progress.
2019: 7'3" Fatal 105L, Alley 7'8" 105L & 8'1" 120L, Zero 9'0" 115L
2022: Mob 7'6" cool 120L, Alleys custom 7'10" 112L & 8'1" 114L
2023: Karmen custom 7'11" 118L
Surf: 9'1" XTR proto glider

Stew

Message par Stew » dim. juin 30, 2019 12:15 am

The 8' chip arrived with me this week. We had a nice family paddle today.

I'm happy with it, and so are the kids. Nice and light, stable. Firm enough. I had a paddle on it and it's quick!

One thing I would suggest is that the paddle looks the same from both sides so trying to remind my 8 year old daughter which way round to have it was tricky while on the water - all other paddles I've had are blank one side so it's easy to describe. A small detail and I've added one of my logo stickers to the front ready for next time.

Ours
Site Admin

Message par Ours » lun. juil. 01, 2019 8:59 am

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
GONG owner and shaper

Répondre

Revenir à « Choisir sa planche / Choose your board »