Surf or SUP foil : Tout savoir sur le foil Allvator SUP/Surf

coolas

Re: Surf or SUP foil : Tout savoir sur le foil Allvator SUP/

Message par coolas » mar. janv. 29, 2019 6:08 pm

AlexF a écrit :Which size would you recommend for a 90 kg rider, beginner, wanting to ride waves up to 1,5m ?
What do you call 1,5m waves? shoulder-size faces? 1.5m can mean very different wave heights for different people. And it also depends on the wave period.

I would not get out with a foil in 1.5m waves, as measured by the average surfer here, for instance. If you could give examples in some pics or videos it could help...
2019: 7'3" Fatal 105L, Alley 7'8" 105L & 8'1" 120L, Zero 9'0" 115L
2022: Mob 7'6" cool 120L, Alleys custom 7'10" 112L & 8'1" 114L
2023: Karmen custom 7'11" 118L
Surf: 9'1" XTR proto glider

AlexF

Message par AlexF » mar. janv. 29, 2019 6:27 pm

Sorry, i can't add pics, error warning occurs:
"Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

Ok, maybe 1,5m atlantic was too high, usually in Portugal if the forecast is < 1m it's no more fun with the regular SUP, so <1m waves or mushy windswell in the med (Carro, Sardegna etc.)

The L seems small for my 90 kg ??

Fred GONG

Message par Fred GONG » mar. janv. 29, 2019 7:04 pm

Hello,

Nous venons de recevoir des foils surf XL et XXL, ils sont donc disponibles immédiatement et livrables sous 3 jours / We've just received our XL and XXL foils, they are available immediatly :

https://gongsupshop.com/epages/box1707. ... il/Surfoil

Merci.
GONG team / Modérateur / May the foil be with you !

coolas

Message par coolas » mar. janv. 29, 2019 7:23 pm

AlexF a écrit : The L seems small for my 90 kg ??
The L (80cm) is perfect for my 100kg. You can see me on it action here:
The buoy was 0.7m avg / 1m max / 6.3s period. Here we tend to call them 50cm waves.

Note that when I exited the waves at the end, it was because I could hit the bottom (I hit it twice): the smaller the waves, the less the depth, so you cannot really foil on too small waves, even with the XL ou XXL, since you will run the risk of hitting the ground.

phpBB [video]

Ours
Site Admin

Message par Ours » mar. janv. 29, 2019 8:19 pm

Hello,

L is big for fast waves. It doesn't matter how light or heavy you are. The lift is important on the M, big on the L, and huge on the XL and insane on the XXL.

It is not like your Tshirt size. I wear XL so I need a XL wing :wink: :wink: :wink: It is more about the speed of the wave and your speed.
If you surf a slow wave without any turn, XL will be nice.
If you surf a 8s period wave with turns, the L will be a biiiig wing. And at 10/12s, you will need a M or a smaller stab.

Remember the trick about the Tshirt, it is important to note.

Do you have questions ?

Thanks,
GONG owner and shaper

AlexF

Message par AlexF » mar. janv. 29, 2019 11:42 pm

Ok, that's interessting.
Listening to the other brands it seems wing size selection is more a factor of bodyweight and wave size.
Even a 12 sek 50cm wave is small.
I can't understand why Colas does use a L while Bear uses XXL in the last videos, both 100 kg???

Alex

coolas

Message par coolas » mer. janv. 30, 2019 12:35 am

AlexF a écrit :Ok, that's interessting.
Listening to the other brands it seems wing size selection is more a factor of bodyweight and wave size.
It is bodyweight, wave speed, and the kind of "flying" you want to perform.

In the same conditions as in my video, The Bear could use a M, because he has the technique to gain speed by angling a lot with the wave. Or he could use an XXL one if he wants to ride slowly without too many turns, just for the longboard-like glide.

But since I do not have his technique, the L is a good medium, it allows me to get long rides, be fast enough to connect sections, not sink on the flats, and not be overpowered and breach the surface if the wave hollows a bit.

The XXL size will be great if your waves are slow and do not break. But if they break, you will have quickly too much lift. Plus, the bigger the wing, the bigger the force, and thus the bigger the risk to break things in case of mistakes that will happen in the learning phases.

Actually, the wings are a kind of sail. You choose your kite or windsurfing sail based a bit on your weight, but a lot on the wind speed, and also what kind of things you want to do. Beginners do not want the bigger sail nor the smallest.

Fishman

Message par Fishman » mer. janv. 30, 2019 5:28 am

Is there a allvator transport bag for the XL and XXL wings for sale?

Ours
Site Admin

Message par Ours » mer. janv. 30, 2019 10:04 am

AlexF a écrit :Ok, that's interessting.
Even a 12 sek 50cm wave is small.
I can't understand why Colas does use a L while Bear uses XXL in the last videos, both 100 kg???

Alex
Hello,

first of all, many brands are doing foils because they see their SUP market decreasing, not because they love foil since years and years. If you look at their background, you can see that they never foiled 2 years ago. This must be said, sorry.
They don't understand very well what to do, so they try to explain the activity like they sell Tshirts. But it is flying Tshirts :roll: :mrgreen: :roll: so a little more sophisticated.

Of course your weight has a relation with your foil lift. But the difference is easy to understand if you look at the volume of each wing. The volume almost equals the lift, more than the area.
If you look at the image below, you see how the volume grows between wings.
The M wing is perfect for 75kg in 10s waves. Look at the L, it is 61% bigger !!! It is already huge.

Let us know your questions.

Thanks,
GONG owner and shaper

JGONG

Message par JGONG » mer. janv. 30, 2019 11:16 am

Fishman a écrit :Is there a allvator transport bag for the XL and XXL wings for sale?

Hello Fisherman,

Get a hold of me on email, [email protected], I can see if I can't find the foam slots and a foil bag around here somewhere for a good price.

Thanks
Jeff Spicoli : All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore : Charlie don't Surf............

Shane Dorian : I Surf to get a Tan.....

World Master of Customer Service in the GONG GALAXY..

speed85

Message par speed85 » mer. janv. 30, 2019 7:11 pm

TEST AILE 90 CM :

Bon, à chaud, enfin presque, car 4° dehors, de la flotte...Bref, on est mieux à l'eau ! Test de l'aile 90 , taille XL donc : à la rame, j'ai senti un léger plus pour partir sur le mou, mais faut être bien placé quand même, ce n'est pas magique ! une fois sur la vague, clairement le pop de départ est parfait , ça décolle hélico (hihihi) et on sent direct comment il faut appuyer pour se stabiliser en toute quiétude. Ma première vague, j'ai malgré tout été déstabilisé par rapport à ma 80... pas les mêmes appuis, tant en placement qu'en appui des pieds , j'étais bien mais il faut se réhabituer à un nouveau jouet. 3 vagues plus tard, je suis surpris par la vitesse , (29km/h quand même en vmax dans 50/70 cm sur ma garmin ) et la manoeuvrabilité pour une 90cm ! Ca tourne plutôt bien...moins que la 80 mais quand même... et pas forcément besoin de mettre plus de puissance, juste décalé le pied arrière éventuellement en dosant. Pour passer des sections plates...comment dire....c'est juste magique.... ça passe , ça continue de voler , d'accélérer suffisamment pour rester en l'air et ainsi on force moins sur les jambes et c'est clairement moins physique à distance et vague égale. Mais attention, la magie se réalise quand même si l'on sait utiliser l'ensemble un minimum sinon, ça ne fera pas de miracles non plus... genre pomper comme dans les vidéos pour remonter au pic...oui , c'est clairement mieux que la 80 mais ce n'est pas magique non plus hein ... il faut se donner un minimum ;-). Je sens que cette aile va être parfaite en downwind en supfoil et en surfoil, car elle vole dans rien et reste "dynamique" donc joueuse sous le pied . Etonnant pour cette aile de cette taille.... oui, et du coup je pense qu'au fil des sessions et avec l'habitude de la surfer, elle pourrait peut être devenir mon aile principale dans les conditions molles maxi taille de hanche...à voir ? Voir jusqu'où la manoeuvrabilité a ses limites car la 80 retse malgré tout une superbe aile à tout faire pour mes 86kg et surtout plus rapide et joueuse et ça, c'est super agréable !! La 90 au pire, sera parfaite jouer sous le vent et les jours où je suis fatigué et l'envie de me laisser glisser à la cool me titille... Bon, dans tous les cas, ce matos c'est vraiment de la bombe , 70, 80, 90, pour le moment , RAS... ça FONCTIONNE !!
10' couine Inflatable , zuma 6'6eps , matata 3cs eps, 6'5 couine marie , Allvator foil M/XL PRO
6'3 karamba eps , 5'11 pie eps, 5'9 alu pu, 5'6 alu fsp
6.8 unik

Ours
Site Admin

Message par Ours » mer. janv. 30, 2019 7:14 pm

Hello,

merci pour ton retour. Il est clair que la particularité de mes ailes c'est d'être maniables malgré une forte portance.

Bye,
GONG owner and shaper

Fishman

Message par Fishman » jeu. janv. 31, 2019 3:06 am

JGONG a écrit :
Fishman a écrit :Is there a allvator transport bag for the XL and XXL wings for sale?

Hello Fisherman,

Get a hold of me on email, [email protected], I can see if I can't find the foam slots and a foil bag around here somewhere for a good price.

Thanks
Thanks JR, I sent you 2 orders and Email.

MagW

Message par MagW » jeu. janv. 31, 2019 3:02 pm

Hello, I have been looking at beginner supfoils for my 64 kg. My waves are really slow and short periods, <5 s.
How should I choose a correct foil for the 2 Taste Mob 95?
/Magnus
22: NFA9'xs
21: NeverStick 9'8
20: Zero 8'5
19: 7'8 Karmen Pro
13: Sherpa BR 12'6
Carbon Racing S and Pro 7"
23: Mint 5’, HM85, CurveH-XL, H-L, FluidH45
23: Droid UP 4,5 & 5,5

Ours
Site Admin

Message par Ours » jeu. janv. 31, 2019 3:28 pm

Dear Magnus,

in my opinion, you can give a start with the L. Then, when you know how to control it, you order a XXL for the very slow waves.

This is because I know your skills and your special waves.

Let us know.

Thanks,
GONG owner and shaper

Répondre

Revenir à « Tout savoir sur les foils de SUP, les sujets officiels »