Fuselage questions: connector disassembly & tikal tef-gel on both ends

marcialemilio

Fuselage questions: connector disassembly & tikal tef-gel on both ends

Message par marcialemilio » mer. juin 02, 2021 8:53 am

Hi Everyone.

I am starting to learn foiling on a V2 Rise ALU. After my first day, I wanted to fully disassemble the foil to rinse and clean all the parts but I am unable to take the connector apart from the fuselage. Any idea how to do it without damaging it? or is it meant to be left inserted?

Bonus question: I know I have to use tikal tef-gel in every screw but I am NOT using it at the ends of the fuselage ( where it meets with wing and stab), is that correct?

Thanks in advance!

Ours
Site Admin

Re: Fuselage questions: connector disassembly & tikal tef-gel on both ends

Message par Ours » mer. juin 02, 2021 11:37 am

Hello,

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
GONG owner and shaper

coolas

Message par coolas » mer. juin 02, 2021 11:54 am

First, a disclaimer: I am not part of the Gong team, so what I say is not to be considered as official advice.

To unstuck the adapter, you may try to heat gently (boiling water) the fuselage but not the adapter.

You need Tef Gel (or other: lithium grease, etc...) to electrically isolate conductive materials with different electrolytic potential. In your foil, such materials are aluminum, carbon fibers, and inox screws.

So, since the alu of the fuz is covered by paint, and the carbon fibers of the wing are embedded in epoxy resin, in theory you would not need Tef-Gel on the fuz ends as the carbon fibers should not touch the alu, and the inox screws are protected with Tef-Gel. I personally chose to use it there however, because I do not remove these parts often and I welcomed the added security, without having to deal with the messiness of exposed parts covered with Tef-Gel.
2019: 7'3" Fatal 105L, Alley 7'8" 105L & 8'1" 120L, Zero 9'0" 115L
2022: Mob 7'6" cool 120L, Alleys custom 7'10" 112L & 8'1" 114L
2023: Karmen custom 7'11" 118L
Surf: 9'1" XTR proto glider

marcialemilio

Message par marcialemilio » mer. juin 02, 2021 12:27 pm

Thanks to both for the quick responses and suggestions. Unfortunately, those do not give me much hope.

- I'll have to try the boiling water option but, to be fair, I do not think it will be of much use. Since both pieces are stuck together, they'll get a similar amount of heat. Let's see what happens
- Regarding the hammer, I do not like the idea of hitting the piece, nor there is a way to hit it where it will help, as it needs to slide out of the fuselage and there is no place to hit in the direction it needs to move nor there is a place to grab it. :-(

So, if a rubber hammer and/or boiling water are needed... I think the designers really need to look into this more carefully. Neither option should need to be mandatory after your first (or subsequent) use, don't you agree?
Wouldn't it be better to build both pieces into a single one? I am really disappointed with the fact that, besides all the maintenance that I'll have to do to keep the gear in shape, I'll have to fight hard with a piece that needs to come out but won't nor is designed to come out easily.
:-(

hecub

Message par hecub » mer. juin 02, 2021 12:39 pm

If you're talking about this
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/produit/gon ... connector/

Being stuck in the fuselage, it's normal. To gain in stiffness they made a conical assembly, so it'll always get stuck, but since it conical, hitting the connector gently on the side will make it pop out (I don't carry the rubber hammer, I just put a towel around it and hit it with my hand, for now it was enough for mine).
Surf: Lethal foil 4'6
Wing: Droïd 6-5 - Neutra 4, Cruzader Diamond 6'0
Foil: Sirus XXL - XL - L, Curve H XL - L - M
YouTube

marcialemilio

Message par marcialemilio » mer. juin 02, 2021 1:15 pm

hecub, you are right! It pops out after being hit gently from all corners.

Now that I have it in my hand, I see how very conical it is and understand better how easily it can be taken out, just by a few well placed hits. I was just reluctant to treat my long awaited present with a hammer. It just did not feel right :-)

Thanks everyone!

NicoLas Palmas

Message par NicoLas Palmas » dim. nov. 19, 2023 6:13 pm

Vive le forum!
Demain je recevrai mon HM85... Excité comme une puce (bon... une grosse puce), je démonte mon maldito mât V2 alu et.... Gros coup de stress, punaise ce connecteur ne va pas avec l'HM85 et il me semblait impossible à sortir du fuselage.
Je me dis "c'est pas possible que je devais racheter un 2ème fuselage Pro ^^" :oops: .

Avant de péter un cable, je viens ici et je lis l'ours qui donne comme solution "maillet" sans plus d'explication :oops:
Truc complètement évident pour lui mais pas pour un teubé comme moi.

Entre l'eau chaude, la serviette sur le connecteur et un bon coup de marteau bien placé en effet.... Le connecteur sort sans aucun problème.
fuselage en position verticale (partie large du connecteur en haut, partie fine en bas) et taper sur le bout de la partie haute du connecteur et le tour est joué. Merci à tous.

Fred GONG

Message par Fred GONG » lun. nov. 20, 2023 11:23 am

8) 8) 8)
GONG team / Modérateur / May the foil be with you !

Répondre

Revenir à « Tout ce qui parle de matos foil et qui ne rentre pas dans les autres rubriques »