Wing for lowwind foiling?

Tout pour bien débuter / All you need for your first steps
MartinRaz

Wing for lowwind foiling?

Message par MartinRaz » jeu. juin 04, 2020 6:20 am

Hi

A weekendwarrior kitesurfer - been kiting for more than 20 years, and kitefoiling for approx 3 years, so I know how to foil - though my foiling jibes are far between. Touchdown jibes i can do with ease.
I have been kitefoiling with a Taaroa - so a racefoil with approx 500 cm2.
It goes extremely high upwind, and can go really, really fast - used to be the one, that pro's used for contest.
But if not handled perfect, you get punished - reason being that my foiling jibes are 1 in 5.

Bought the foilboard Catch fsp 2x freewave with Surffoil L.
Suddenly it is opposite - I can now do 4 out 5 foiling jibes - and that is first time out with the new foil!
WOW - totally love the feeling of the new foil. So much more playfull and fun to ride in small swell/waves.

BUT what I have lost is lowwind ability.
I have not tried them side-by-side.
But was out in the weekend in lowwind with a large foilkite. Foilkites like speed, then they generate more power.
Even though there were plenty of wind, I had a hard time foiling.

So my question - do any of the Gong wings go fast/easy for lowwind foiling?
Would love to be able to have wing for fun or/and wave riding and one for lowwind and speed/upwind/touring.

Would a veloce be the tool for me?
And should that be same size L?

I am 85-90kg

Fred06

Re: Wing for lowwind foiling?

Message par Fred06 » jeu. juin 04, 2020 10:36 am

Sorry to be off-subject, but I think that with an easier kitefoil you would success 100% jibes. And loose Vmax and VMG, but you wouldn't loose lowwind range.

MartinRaz

Message par MartinRaz » ven. juin 05, 2020 10:38 am

Don't really understand your comment?

You think it is not an easy foil?
I do :-)

So what would yo recommend?

Fred06

Message par Fred06 » ven. juin 05, 2020 2:32 pm

MartinRaz a écrit :
ven. juin 05, 2020 10:38 am
Don't really understand your comment?

You think it is not an easy foil?
I do :-)

So what would yo recommend?
I have been kitefoiling with a Taaroa - so a racefoil with approx 500 cm2. (...) But if not handled perfect, you get punished - reason being that my foiling jibes are 1 in 5.
Reading this I thought that you find your current kitefoil difficult. My kitefoil (Radical with big wing) is not a racefoil and if not handled perfectly, no punishment!

MartinRaz

Message par MartinRaz » dim. juin 07, 2020 3:02 pm

I know how to foil - my Taaroa (which is a racer) is naturaly harder to jibe with than my new Gong. But I have no trouble foiling with either of them

Taaroa goes extreme upwind, and can go really fast.
So in low wind, as it picks up speed real fast, my foilkite generates more power resulting in even more speed.
So I can kite in real low wind speeds.

My new Gong can foil with real low speed, but does not ride as fast as the Taaroa. So as it is not a fast foil, it does not generate same amount of speed as my Taaroa and I assume it therefore is not as good as a lowwind foil.
It feels as if there is more resistance kiting/foiling with Gong compared to Taaroa, and if that is correct, then it is natural that it is not as good as lowwind veapon.

So my question - do any of the Gong wings go fast/easy for lowwind foiling?
Would love to be able to have a wing for fun or/and wave riding (current wing) and one for lowwind and speed/upwind/touring.

Would a veloce be the tool for me?
And should that be same size L?

Répondre

Revenir à « FOIL : Premiers pas / First steps »