Stuck learning the dock/jettison start

Tout pour bien débuter / All you need for your first steps
zrylux

Stuck learning the dock/jettison start

Message par zrylux » mer. oct. 03, 2018 11:45 pm

Hello guys! Mi first post here on this community. Sorry for my low english and zero level French. My native language is Spanish, so, hope everyone can understand me.

Ok, in a nutshell, im stuck learning the jettison start.

After 3 weeks training almost 2 hours everyday, I feel I wont never achieve a decent start. My best has been 5 pumps and end swimming in the water. So, from here, i'm asking to other foilers some advices or tips.

In the beginning, I was feeling everyday I was improving my technique and distance, but now, since 2 weeks ago, there is now way to reach further or faster.

Like you, I've seen a lot of videos on the internet of people starting from the dock and keep pumping as long as the want. I know it requires a lot ot training but I feel something is wrong maybe with my gear setup.

I know everybody will tell me I must run along the ramp and jump on the foil. I would like to learn just jumping and not running. Can anyone of you help me with this?

I'm using Gong foil catch 5,3 and Allvator foil L

I attach a small video of my latests jumps

phpBB [video]

By other side, I must say I have been practicing behind a boat and this thing flyes like no other one!
Amazing product with an amazing price

phpBB [video]

coolas

Re: Stuck learning the dock/jettison start

Message par coolas » jeu. oct. 04, 2018 8:24 am

Hi!

From what I see, dock start is really hard. Rob Pierie for instance, which foils everyday for 2 years, has nearly all the foils on the market, has only managed to do it this week:

phpBB [video]

Note that he is on a huge wing, perhaps 100cm wide.

The advice I could give you would be:

- go faster. The foil need to travel fast enough to support you. Look like Rob is starting with a lot of speed for instance, and keeping it. The goal is to move forward, not push up/down. Never get lower than a certain speed. The foil should feel "locked" in the water, and resist a lot your movements, so that you have the feeling to pump against a stiff spring with a short travel, rather than moving a lot of water on esach pump.

- concentrate on the arms, to have a steady and regular arm movement, with both arms in sync. In your video, as soon as the arms are not in sync, your board goes to the side.
2019: 7'3" Fatal 105L, Alley 7'8" 105L & 8'1" 120L, Zero 9'0" 115L
2022: Mob 7'6" cool 120L, Alleys custom 7'10" 112L & 8'1" 114L
2023: Karmen custom 7'11" 118L
Surf: 9'1" XTR proto glider

nico_hily

Message par nico_hily » jeu. oct. 04, 2018 9:50 am

Hello zrylux,

That’s a pretty nice start :!: .Dock start is pretty hard to learn. You have to work hard, to play hard!! Keep going!!!

Dock start advice : You don’t need the leash, it will avoid you to walk on it.
Try to launch your body a bit faster on the board. The most important thing to understand, is that, the less weight you have on the foil, the higher it will go. Thus, when you jump on the board, you have to quickly reduce the weight of your body by trying to jump, and be lighter as you can. When the foil start to go down you can push and be heavier. And then you repeat this movement (easy to say, I know :D )
Your arms are also important. When you want to be light on the board, your arms have to follow your body and go up. When te foil comes down, your arms can also follow your body and go down.

Keep working!!!
--§((GONG TEAM))§--

Fred06

Message par Fred06 » jeu. oct. 04, 2018 11:47 am

Misma opinión que los demás: quítate el invento y corre!
Otra cosa: puede poner un mando grande al centro de tu tabla, como esta: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnCAhBjguPt/

trickcoach

Message par trickcoach » jeu. oct. 04, 2018 8:13 pm

for me it was a step by step process , each step at a time with one goal in mind being able to dockstart , I've never foilsurfed ocean wakes , just stuck to boat and flat lakes ...

this is how it went for me :

1/ learn to ride behind the boat and letting go off the rope
2/ learn to surf the 2nd or 3rd back wake behind the boat and asking the driver to stop , learn to pump to rejoin 1st wake
3/ bungee cord dock launch using the Horue Catapult and pump my first laps
4/ Dock start like in the video above

things that really helped :

1/ we call it pumping meaning that most people thing you have to push down on the foil when it is actually the exact opposite , the foil generates lift from speed or no weight on it ... so you need to actually make yourself as light as possible
2/ the foil develops more lift when it's closer to the surface , so try so start with the wing as close to the surface as possible
3/ I added a handle on my board so I don't have to run all crouched makes it easier for an old 45 year old like me to do

last note I am 86kgs so I'm using the L (80cm) wing mounted on an old wakeboard that I cut off to size ... after doing my laps properly I moved on to the 80cm mast which I feel is helping keep a nice ample pump and maintain myself longer ...

best advice I can give you : don't give up , these things take time ... and I know how frustrating this is !

zrylux

Message par zrylux » ven. oct. 05, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks guys for the info and tips!! I'll focus on them next time I visit my training ramp.

As Trickcoach said, install a handle it's a very good idea. Maybe I should practice a little bit more behind a boat and pump the second wave before keep practicing on dock start.

Ill post some more improvements videos of my dock start. Hope this info could help to more foil enthusiasts

zrylux

Message par zrylux » dim. oct. 07, 2018 9:28 pm

nico_hily a écrit :Hello zrylux,

That’s a pretty nice start :!: .Dock start is pretty hard to learn. You have to work hard, to play hard!! Keep going!!!

Dock start advice : You don’t need the leash, it will avoid you to walk on it.
Try to launch your body a bit faster on the board. The most important thing to understand, is that, the less weight you have on the foil, the higher it will go. Thus, when you jump on the board, you have to quickly reduce the weight of your body by trying to jump, and be lighter as you can. When the foil start to go down you can push and be heavier. And then you repeat this movement (easy to say, I know :D )
Your arms are also important. When you want to be light on the board, your arms have to follow your body and go up. When te foil comes down, your arms can also follow your body and go down.

Keep working!!!
Could you explain in more detail when do we have to push and when to "reduce my weight" ? I understand your idea but not sure when to apply it

This weekend I have been practicing following your tip and believe, every time I jump, I get more confused. I don't know when to reduce my weight and when tu push.

This is what i do: Get some speed and jump on the board as lighter as possible, the board's nose starts to go down, so I quickly push my rear foot to "take of again". When I do it, i feel the nose goes very high and I fall backwards.

I have tried all possible combinations: Jump very heavy and push rear foot easily, Jump easy and push rear foot hard, jump easy and push easy.. etc etc.

As I told, every time I jump, I get more confused. So, maybe you can explain in more detail wich is the technical procedure.

Thanks again for all your help!

nico_hily

Message par nico_hily » lun. oct. 08, 2018 11:14 am

Hello,

You reduce your weight when you want the foil to go up. And then you push in your front foot to go down. This is the movement of foiling on flat water. when you step on the board, the first natural movement is to push, and then, you have to quickly reduce your weight to go up and fly. Dont push on your back foot, but it's more like if you want to jump and be as light as possible. 8) :!:
--§((GONG TEAM))§--

Répondre

Revenir à « FOIL : Premiers pas / First steps »